Residentia Ons Huis Old Age Home has provided care for the senior residents of Florida and the West Rand since 1967. Until March 2007 the home resorted under the auspices of the Sinodale Deputate Diakonale Sake (SDDS) of the Reformed Churches in South Africa.
On the 1st of April 2008, the scheme was taken over by the Residentia Foundation (now Residentia).
The home is situated in Madeline Street in Florida on the West Rand near Unified Station and the Flora Centre in Ontdekkers Road.
Ons Huis means “Our Home”.
The following facilities are available
Residentia Ons Huis consists of:
- A main building which accommodates 73 residents in mostly single rooms
- Three blocks of flats with 22 bachelor flats and 8 one bed roomed flats
- 4 one bed roomed semi-detached flats
- Forty-five residents are presently living in the flats.
The scheme provides residence to a total of 114 senior citizens.
- 24-hour care for 7 days a week
- Three meals, coffee/tea and sandwiches at night
- Administering of all prescribed medication
- Assistance with bathing and showering<
- Laundry and cleaning services
- An emergency call facility
- Regular social activities such as Bingo, video shows and a reading circle
- Weekly exercising sessions
- A library
- Safe keeping and management of pocket money
- Evening prayers, Bible study and regular church services
- 24-hour security services and security cameras
- Weekly visits by a medical practitioner only for residents without medical aid
- Visits by congregations, day care centres and individuals who present music programs, delicacies and gifts
- Welfare and pastoral care
- Tuck Shop
- Day Care Center for the Aged
- Hairdressing salon
- Manicure and pedicure services
- Municipal bus service to the Westgate shopping centre
- Home base care
Day Care Center for the Aged
This service is aimed at senior citizens who:
- Live with their children with family or alone
- Are alone and maybe lonely during the day
- Are scared home alone
- Have children who worry that the elderly could fall or injure themselves or fall prey to crimes of violence
- Are bored and long for company or activities such as Bingo, videos, physical exercise, Bible study, etc.
- Would love a deliciously cooked lunch and a nap in the afternoon
- Need help with bathing or showering
- Do not feel that they would like to permanently live in an old age home yet.
How it works:
- The senior citizen would be dropped off at Ons Huis by family members in the morning and fetched home in the afternoon.
Services will include:
- A sociable and safe day among friends of their own age
- Participation in all activities the home offers
- Lunch and an afternoon nap
- Bath and shower services
Mrs Marita van den Berg
Residentia Ons Huis Old Age Home
PO Box 3007